An explosion rocked four businesses in Livingston Manor. Our Christian Farrell has more on what happened and how the small town is lucky no one was seriously hurt.
LIVINGSTON MANOR, N.Y. -- "They're totally gone. Demolished," said Livingston Manor Fire Chief Daniel Roser.
The Hamlet of Livingston Manor endured another hardship. Tuesday afternoon, instead of a flood, it was a fire. A fire that consumes the Hoos Building on Pearl Street.
"Upon arrival here, the building was quite fully involved. Then we had a secondary explosion which basically kind of leveled the building itself," said Roser.
Fire officials say they believe a propane explosion in the building's Moose Be Morning Coffee Shop ignited the fire. Luckily, they say no one was injured. They believe the entire building was empty at the time. One firefighter did suffer a minor injury.
"This building's been here since 1903. It's going to be hard for our community to recuperate from this," said Roser.
The occupants of the Hoos Building included two upstairs apartments and four ground level stores. All were completely destroyed by the fire. Two of the stores, though, belonged to the Foster family. The father owned the sports collectibles store and his son was the owner of the Lazy Beagle Pub and Grill.
"It's terrible for the town. It's horrible for the Fosters. It's very bad for the people who're employed and people who want to gather. Especially around Thanksgiving weekend. A lot of people planned to gather here," said Sullivan County Legislator Kitty Vetter.
And now instead of a holiday gathering, Vetter says this community will be planning the holiday demolition of a historic building.
"The town has been hit enough with floods in the past. The town has been holding on by a shoe string. And now the town has lost its main source of gathering and finances. So, keeping the town alive is going to be difficult," said Vetter.