Twenty people are without a home after a fire in the City of Newburgh. Eva McKend has more.
NEWBURGH, N.Y. -- “Me and my wife were laying in the bed. We heard all this noise going on. Then when we woke up, we heard one of the neighbors crying ‘fire, fire, fire,’” said Roy Legette.
A frightening morning for the residents of a Bay View Terrace home as a fire in the third floor affected the entire building.
“It was smoke coming out of the roof of the house to top. It was coming out real forceful and so she say ‘fire, fire, fire. Get out, get out, get out,’” Joyce Burns said.
If it weren't for the smoke detectors, the Newburgh Fire Department says it could have been a very different story.
“The smoke detector sounded and allowed all of the occupants to hear the alarms, wake up and exit the building prior to arrival. We were able to ascertain that all people were out and we did a follow up search to find out all the people were out,” said Newburgh Fire Department Assistant Chief John Nokland.
Two Newburgh firefighters were sent to St. Luke's hospital for minor injuries. They have since been released. Though there were no other injuries, all four of the families likely won't be able to return to their homes until after the holidays.
Nokland said, “This is unfortunate at this time of year. There were Christmas trees on the first floor apartments, they were all ready for Christmas and now they have no place to live.”