Saturday, April 19, 2014

Follow us:
Subscribe to this news feed Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook 

News

Hudson Valley

Judge sets bail in Porco case

  • Text size: + -
Albany/HV: Judge sets bail in Porco case
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

Judge Jeffrey Berry granted Christopher Porco freedom, but at a hefty price -- $250,000 in cash or $1 million bond, indicating he's not a flight risk.

Legal Analyst Paul DerOhannesian said, "There was a lengthy time when he was under suspicion, identified as the person of interest, the suspect in the case, he doesn't leave, has ties to the community, the questions of proof in the case, issues of motive in the case. Together, the judge is well within his discretion in setting bail."

Albany County District Attorney David Soares said, "$250,000 cash or $1 million in bond is unprecedented in Albany County, and it's just one step in the path of presenting our case to the jury."

Christopher Porco's lawyer, Terry Kindlon, said he's grateful for the judge's decision. He and family friend John Polster hope to have Christopher home by early next week.

"They're disappointed that he's still there. They were hoping the judge was going to set bail last Wednesday. It took close to two weeks before we got into court. We'd like to see him out as soon as possible," said Polster.

Now, it's a matter of coming up with that much money. Already, several people have come forward offering to put up their homes for bail -- Polster being one of them. He said there's also a chance they'll come up with the cash.

"Right now, the family is in the process of examining options, what can be put together and how quickly each option can be put together," said Polster.

The District Attorney's office was very adamant at last week's bail hearing that Porco not be granted bail, but Soares said he respects the judge's decision.

"The judge took an opportunity to read the grand jury minutes and made his decision. We're excited about it. The ball is rolling. We're going to be heading to trial relatively soon," said Soares.

Both Kindlon and Soares are looking to begin the trial as early as April.

10.11.12.244 ClientIP: 54.243.13.30, 23.62.6.207 UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) Profile: TWCSAMLSP